Scout Centres of Excellence for Nature, Environment and Sustainability, or SCENES, are committed to protecting their natural environment, minimising environmental impact, and enabling everyone around them to engage with nature.
SCENES adhere to the most rigorous environmental standards and offer practical learning experiences for young people as well as leadership development programs. Through their engagement with nature, individuals are empowered to take ownership of their personal responsibility to protect the environment.
The programme, which began in the 1990s, has produced a number of internationally acclaimed centres renowned for their outstanding environmental management and educational offerings.
Key criteria for accreditation
To qualify for SCENES, Scout Centres must meet several criteria:
- Practices: Adhere to a set of principles, practices, and requirements.
- Environmental education: SCENES play an important role in environmental education and sustainability practices in Scouting and the local community.
- Network: Being part of the SCENES network supports and empowers members, and guides the future development of SCENES.
- Community: SCENES support local communities and beyond to advance environmental protection.
- Administration: After getting accredited, SCENES must be go through a reaccreditation process every five years.
SCENES and the SDGs
SCENES supports Scouting's contributions to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). By showcasing excellence green living, responsible consumption, and environmental education, SCENES are models in sustainable development.
Want to join SCENES?
Scout Centres applying for SCENES accreditation must complete the following steps:
- Conduct a self-assessment and meet the SCENES requirements.
- Request a WOSM Service to start the accreditation process.
- Be peer reviewed by another member of SCENES, either in person or virtually.
- The relevant National Scout Organization sends a letter with the completed checklist and other supporting documents to the World Scout Bureau.